Chainsaw Sharpening Supplies in Bozeman, Montana
So you have a chainsaw, but do you know how to sharpen it to keep it operating consistently, accurately, and safely? Most importantly, a dull blade can cause buckling and kickback while sawing, which is dangerous for you. It is also important to keep your blades sharp because you will extend the longevity of your chain, saving yourself time and money long term. Did you know that we provide chainsaw sharpening services at Owenhouse Ace Hardware? We also have all the chainsaw sharpening supplies you need if you are the DIY type! Our expert staff is ready to help answer any questions you have about what you need to keep your chainsaw in ideal condition.
Chainsaw Sharpening Instructions
Sharpening a chainsaw may sound intimidating, but we promise it is not! We have everything you need at Owenhouse Ace Hardware to sharpen your chainsaw yourself. Here are step-by-step instructions to safely sharpen your chainsaw chain:
- Engage the chain brake and use a clamp to secure the chainsaw in a vice so it does not move around on you.
- Take note of the arrows on the guide which point towards the nose of the bar. You want to place the guide between the rivets on the chain using the arrows to orient yourself.
- Pay attention to the angle of the top plate of the cutter. Use the rollers on the guide so you do not go too deep down the side plate of the cutter as you sharpen.
- Two to three long, steady, even strokes with a chainsaw sharpening file is all you need. You want the face of the cutter to become a shiny silver.
- Once several of your cutters have been sharpened, release the chain brake and rotate it forward so you can access more cutters to sharpen. Reset the brake again before resuming sharpening with the chainsaw sharpening blade.
- Once you are finished sharpening the cutters on one side of the chain you will need to flip your chainsaw around and repeat the process on the other side.
- Use a file and depth gauge tool to adjust the height of the depth gauges on the chain to make sure they are the correct height for optimal cutting.
Chainsaw Sharpening Supplies
If you live in Bozeman, Montana, Owenhouse Ace Hardware is your go-to for all things chainsaw related! This includes all the tools you need to maintain your chainsaw, including:
- Protective eyewear
- Depth gauge guide for sharpening chainsaw blades
- Dremel tool
- Dremel tool blade sharpening kit No. A679-02
- File guide for sharpening chain saw blades
- Flat file
- Round file
We also carry chainsaw sharpening kits that contain all the chainsaw sharpening devices and tools in one package for your convenience.
Types of Chainsaws at Owenhouse Ace
There are many different types of chainsaws out there and a number of factors you need to consider when deciding which type of chainsaw is right for you. If you are unsure, come by Owenhouse Ace and our Power Equipment Specialists will help you find the right chainsaw for your needs. Some questions you should ask yourself include:
- What is your budget?
- How often will you use the chainsaw?
- How will you be using the chainsaw?
- Where will you be using the chainsaw?
- Do you want to refuel the chainsaw tank or plug it into the wall?
The three main types of chainsaws are:
1. Corded electric chainsaw:
Endless power but you lose portability. This is typically the least expensive chainsaw and its power is similar to low to mid-level cordless electric chainsaws.
2. Cordless electric chainsaw:
When portability is important but you don’t want to deal with refilling the gas tank. Because they rely on a battery, you will have limited time to use them before needing to recharge. These chainsaws are quieter than gas-powered models, but they tend to be more expensive.
3. Gas-powered chainsaw:
The most high-powered of the three, the gas-powered chainsaw has the most cutting power and a longer bar length than the electric types so it allows the user to cut larger trees more easily. Completely mobile to use and they come with a wide variety of pricing.
What brands of chainsaws do we carry at Owenhouse Ace Hardware?
We have a wide variety of brands but our three most popular tend to be:
The most popular choice by far. STIHL chainsaws come in gas-powered and electric models.
TORO chainsaws have some great electric options for our clients who are interested in that type of chainsaw.
Schedule an Appointment with a Chainsaw Sharpening Expert
No one does power equipment like we do at Owenhouse Ace Hardware! We have an entire department set up, our Power Equipment Department, with all the brands and parts you need to keep your yard cut, trimmed, and beautiful! Our expert team at ACE Hardware is your go-to in Bozeman, Montana to help you sharpen your chainsaw to keep it working efficiently and safely.
Chainsaw sharpening can sound daunting at first and if you are nervous about doing it yourself we understand. Leave it to us! You can schedule an appointment with a Chainsaw Sharpening Expert at either one of our Owenhouse Ace Hardware locations.
We also have a Parts & Repair Shop so whether you need a full tune up or single replacement part we can help you! Chainsaw sharpening is a highly popular service we offer for our clients in Bozeman, MT, so stop by today to speak with one of our expert technicians, or call us at 406-587-5405!
Owning a high quality chainsaw is step one. Step two is properly maintaining your chainsaw. In addition to the quality and engine power of your chainsaw, cutting performance depends mainly on the choice of cutting attachment you have affixed to it and how well it is maintained by you. A properly sharpened, well maintained saw chain makes your work in the field easier. This helps prolong the life of the whole cutting attachment, consisting of the saw chain, guide bar and chain sprocket. It also keeps you safe while using your chainsaw because a dull chain can cause your chainsaw to snag and kickback when you are using it. The good news is that it is a quick and simple process to sharpen your chainsaw, and you should aim to do it every time you add fuel.
Owenhouse Ace Hardware is your local one-stop shop for all your chainsaw needs. Whether you are looking to buy your first basic chainsaw for simple yard maintenance or a commercial chainsaw you will use every day for work, we have you covered! One of our expert chainsaw technicians will help answer any questions you have and make sure you have everything you need!