The mission of this Bozeman-based company is to make high performance sportsman’s coolers, comparable to expensive ‘high end’ coolers, with some extra design features and additional capacity, all at a fraction of the price. Available in various colors, Permafrost Coolers have extraordinary thermal properties through choice of manufacturing materials and features such as their push button pressure release valve which allows for purging without opening the lid – thus mitigating loss of temperature.
Their coolers come in three sizes and feature:
- Full roto-molded construction
- Push button pressure release valve
- Stainless steel padlock plates (which double as bottle openers)
- Ruler molded into the lid
- Removable center divider (which doubles as a cutting board)
- Removable hanging basket
- Heavy-duty internal hinges
- Heavy-duty rubber clasps
- Oversized drain plugs
- 20qt. coolers also feature a padded carry handle
- 45qt. and 75qt. coolers also feature quick-remove strap carrying handles
- 45qt. and 75qt. coolers also feature luggage strap mounts for securing your cooler to a truck, ATV, or boat
To get the very best from your cooler for long term cold storage the company recommends pre-chilling the cooler to avoid using your pack-ice to make the initial reduction in temperature within the Permafrost Cooler. This is easiest achieved by freezing two water-filled gallon milk jugs and leaving them in the cooler overnight. Remove the milk jugs when you’re ready to pack your Permafrost Cooler for travel. A pre-chilled cooler can be expected to hold its temperature below freezing for at least a week (up to 9 days in our field tests). Obviously, once opened or left open the thermal expectations may be compromised depending on the ambient temperature.